Product Design Firms are entrepreneurial ventures which provide services to large manufacturing companies and enterprises. Their responsibilities include designing and prototyping for an idea or a potential product that could be useful to a customer and create a demand in the market.
Product design comes under the umbrella of various design services including: Business Design, Enterprise Design, Products Design, and Execution Design. Each of this type corresponds to a specific task and helps in curating the economic flow. All these are important to the process of creation. The flow of the above design processes is marked as follows:
Enterprise Design -> Product Design -> Execution Design -> Business Design -> Enterprise Design….. And so the circle continues.
Product designers are problem solvers, they can be responsible for any or all of the following processes:
1) Experience Designer
2) Interaction Designer
3) Information Architect
4) Experience Architect
5) User Interface Designer
6) User Experience Designer
7) …and many more
The Product design firms are responsible for product design, there are various types of product design, the important ones are:
1) System Design: This type is related to designing systems for user needs for eg: Grocery store, where there are aisles, counters, and racks, etc which cater to user needs, and users pay an amount for the services. This constitutes a system.
2) Process Design: Any processes that we might see in the market are based on this type. Tasks like filling up gas at the station and paying or standing in line at the grocery store counter and paying an amount in your turn or even buying tickets to the movie theatre, look and sound simple but if you look at them closely you might find several fine processes working together.
3) Interface design: Any interface which you see around you like your smartphone’s software or a computer game, online payment services, etc which cater to customers who come under this category.
Now that you know about Product design and Product Design firms, you might want to know,
How to choose a good Product Design Firm for the development of your product?
Outsourcing the product development process saves the company time and cost of design.
Some important points to keep in mind while choosing a product design firm are:
1) Healthy Relations: The most important point to consider is whether the product design firm shows good behavioral aspects and manners.
2) Innovation: The firm should be rich with new ideas that cater to the customer’s needs.
3) Portfolio: No doubt, a strong portfolio with good aesthetics is necessary if you’re going to invest money.